Life is constantly surrounded by turmoil and uncertainty. With our inherent negativity bias we are programmed to highlight the glass which is half empty. Take a step back, breath and accept this invitation to focus on the glass which is half full with the use of affirmations. This is one of the self help tool included in the Fertile Body Method Training. It is simple and life changing not only for one’s fertility journey but everyday life.
What is an Affirmation?
- A statement to yourself which is positively phrased yourself
- The phrase is in present tense
- Ensure it is is simple and short
- Preferably start the statement with the word ‘I/My
Why the need for Affirmation Cards?
The consistent practice of writing and practicing affirmations allows you to begin replacing some of your stale, worn-out or negative mind chatter with more positive ideas and concepts. It is a simple yet powerful technique, one that can in a short time space completely transform your attitudes and expectations about life. In essence it can totally change what you experience.
Generally, an affirmation is a positive statement to oneself. Saying the statement to oneself while feeling quite the opposite of what is being said produces an incongruent state that sometimes can be less than helpful. In order for an affirmation to be effective it needs to be embodied as if it were happening now at this moment in time. In this manner you are actually creating even if it is temporarily a congruent and evocative experience of the change that you want.
Gradually by repetition and accessing the words, emotions and physical state you begin to learn this desired way of being. Seeking to verify the truth of this statement in our day-to-day life can also reinforce this statement become a deep-seated belief.
- I am becoming more and more confident in myself.
- I am choosing healthy food that makes me feel good.
- I love and appreciate my body.
How to use them?
- Take some time to settle down and relax.
- Allow your eyes to close, alternatively if it feels comforable look at yourself in the mirror.
- Say the affirmation to yourself out loud and continue to repeat it several more times.
- As you continue to say the affirmation, start to imagine that it is already true.
- Imagine it as if it were happening now.
- Imagine the feelings and emotions that you will be experiencing.
- Imagine how your body will be feeling and moving.
- Where possible, physically perform the movement or adopt the posture.
- Let yourself fully embody this statement in every way.
Step by step procedure on how to make affirmation cards for yourself and to gift others
- Set the scene, light a candle, have some background music playing.
- Get a coloured cardboard sheet. You can use white cardboard or a sheet of paper too.
- Cut small rectangle or in business card sizes.
- Choose your favourite writing pen – mine is 0.3mm Staedtler . Ensure the colour is legible on the card. (you may want to test it out first so the colour of the pen is a contrast to the colour of the card).
- Take a few deep breaths and centre/ ground yourself.
- Write out your affirmation, you may want to draw some symbols such as hearts or stars, add some stickers/ stamps.
- Put it in a small envelope or a silk bag and include some shape cuttings and crystals
Voila – your personalised affirmation card is ready for you to use when you need uplifting or give as a gift to someone you care for.
Extracted from The Fertile Body Method ISBN 9781845900960 © 2009 Sjanie Hugo and Crown House Publishing Ltd